PIL compile/make bombs out at step #7 -- help?

Karl G. Ulbrich karl at ulbrich.org
Wed Apr 26 18:22:00 EDT 2000

Quoting Fredrik Lundh (effbot at telia.com):
[...]
> from the look of it, you either have a broken /bin/sh,
> or you messed something up when editing the Setup
> file...

/bin/sh might really be /bin/bash under the hood, as
Linux seems most-fond of bash, but no other shellscripts
I've seen die on it.

> can you perhaps post the Setup file ?

Here's my setup file -- I disabled the TK part as I neglected
to install that package with Linux, but I have the python .h
files, jpeg and libz stuff.

# Setup file for the Imaging module
# =================================
#
# INSTRUCTIONS:
#
# 1) Edit the configuration settings as described below.
#
# 2) Go to the libImaging directory and build the support library.
#
# 3) Run "make -f Makefile.pre.in boot"
#
# 4) Run "make"
#
# This file has the same format as <pythonroot>/Modules/Setup.in.
#

# --------------------------------------------------------------------
# Remove (or comment) the following line if you wish to build a
# statically linked python interpreter.

*shared*

# --------------------------------------------------------------------
# Edit or remove the library specifications to match your configura-
# tion.  As they stand, they assume that you have the IJG JPEG library
# 6.0a and zlib 1.0.4 (or newer versions of these libraries) in a
# standard location.  You can comment out the Tcl/Tk stuff if you
# don't need ImageTk, or if you're using a custom _tkinter instead
# (like in earlier versions of PIL).

_imaging  _imaging.c decode.c encode.c map.c display.c outline.c path.c \
	-IlibImaging libImaging/libImaging.a \
#
# *** IJG JPEG library (libjpeg) location
#	-I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -ljpeg \
	-I/usr/include -L/usr/lib -ljpeg \
#
# *** ZLIB (libz) location
#	-I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -lz \
	-I/usr/include -L/usr/lib -lz \
#
# *** Tcl/Tk support and library location
#        Tk/tkImaging.c -DWITH_TKINTER -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl8.0 -ltk8.0

# uncomment to enable the SANE driver (see Sane/README for more info)

# _sane Sane/_sanemodule.c -IlibImaging -L/usr/local/lib/sane/ -lsane-dll