Off-topic

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 12 14:54:00 EDT 2000

Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at callware.com> writes:

> Hi All--
>
> Michael Hudson wrote:
[schnipp]
> > Someone's taken /usr/bin/python away?  Tried strace-ing it?
> >

> Perl and Python both work if I do 'perl h2n' or 'python hello.py'.
> Interactive mode works fine.

But are python & perl in /usr/bin?  `which python`?

> Sh scripts do work, as long as I remember to do ./script ;-).  I'm
> running as root (but the same thing happens when I run as myself, too).
> However, this could be explained by the default behavour of exec(),
> which states that if the kernel can't run a program, it execs sh and
> hands it the program name in argv.

Really?  Here (rh 6.1) "man execve" says:

       execve() executes the  program  pointed  to  by  filename.
       filename  must  be either a binary executable, or a script
       starting with a line of the form "#!  interpreter  [arg]".
       In  the latter case, the interpreter must be a valid path­
       name for an executable which is not itself a script, which
       will be invoked as interpreter [arg] filename.

gotta-love-computers-ly y'rs
M.

--
  languages shape the way we think, or don't.
                                      -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp