Unicode program representation

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Mon Apr 3 03:14:07 EDT 2000

Neil Hodgson <neilh at hare.net.au> wrote:
>    I think this should be changed to interpreting the literal as a UTF-8
> literal. The advantage here is that non-roman string literals become a
> natural part of the language.

however, perfectly valid ISO Latin 1 strings (or any other standard
8-bit encoding) are invalid UTF-8 strings.   changing the default to
UTF-8 this is likely to break many existing scripts.

maybe we can change the default in Python 3000, but to fix this be-
fore that, we'll need to introduce an "encoding pragma" of some kind,
and leave the default as "pass through".

</F>