WinNT and TCL/TK

Dirck Blaskey dirck at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 11 10:54:04 EDT 2000

James "Wez" Weatherall <jnw22 at cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:8cv5vo$f0v$1 at pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> "Jerome Chan" <eviltofu at rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> news:eviltofu-9BCDF3.08165411042000 at news.earthlink.net...
> > Have installed Python 1.5.2 on a WinNT Server but it says it can't find
> > a TCL lib when I start it up. Do I have to add something?
>
> This is a path-setting bug, as far as I can tell.  Under the My Computer
> Properties tab in Windows, change the system's PATH to include the
directory
> containing the Tcl library (usually c:\program files\tcl\bin).
>
> The other option is to copy the tcl80.dll (?) file from that directory
into
> the system32 directory.  That way you needn't alter the system PATH but
you
> will have a rogue file in your system directory!

Extra copies of the tcl/tk dlls can cause the 'init.tcl not found' error
instead of the dll not found error, so copying the dlls into system32 isn't
recommended.  Change the PATH or use a modified FixTk.py:
http://www.danbala.com/python/fixtk

More information is also available here:
http://www.pythonware.com/people/fredrik/fyi/fyi02.htm

Good luck

Dirck Blaskey
Danbala Software