Simple list.append() question

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Fri Apr 28 09:21:45 EDT 2000

Michael Hudson wrote:

> Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>
> > Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> > >
> > > It would be a good idea IMO to find a
> > > good syntax for this case and ISTM that list comprehensions might be
> > > useful here:
> > >
> > >   multi_list = [[] for i in range(10)]
> > >
> > > or whatever the precise syntax was. Hmm, the unused variable in there is
> > > a bit ugly though.
> >
> > Maybe the LC syntax should include something like
> >
> >    [[] times 10]
>
> But wouldn't that make "times" a keyword?  Not sure I'd want that...

Currently, yes, but it is absolutely not necessary to be so.
It requires to change the grammar to treat operators
differently. A similar change would allow me to use

def foo(from=1, to=42):

since there is no reason to recognise from as a keyword in
parameter position. Similarily: in

class foo:
   def impossible(self, a, b, c):
      self.pass = a
      self.continue = b
      self.return = c

could quite easily be allowed.

But I'm tired to fight such a proposal again for no result...

ciao - chris