Python 1.6a2 crashes in test_fork1 on my Mandrake Linux 7 machine

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Apr 14 09:47:18 EDT 2000

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 06:31:18PM -0500, John Lloyd wrote:
> Oliver Andrich wrote:

[ about test_fork1 failing on a Mandrake 7 system ]

I dont know enough about threads to say anything useful about this, but it
is kind of strange that you dont see the same problem under Python 1.5.2. My
redhat boxes pass the test, though the BSDI boxes dont (but threading is
screwed in more than one way under most BSDI versions.) I haven't tried
compiling 1.5.2 under BSDI 4.1 (the newest, which seems to work reasonably
ok with threading) though, so it might be a change in python's
thread-handling...

Wasn't Mandrake based on Redhat ? Does it use a different/strange libc or
something ? i dont quite see why there should be a difference in rh 6.1 and
mandrake, in this context.

> I had the same fault but when I compiled without thread support it works
> OK.

This is not very suprising, since test_fork1 tests for the combination of
threading and fork. (wether threads survive after a fork(); apparently they
shouldn't, but they do, on many systems.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>