The Simple Economics of Open Source

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Apr 28 00:02:58 EDT 2000

Terry Reedy wrote:

> "Gordon McMillan" <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote in message
>
> > One of those open source delusions is that being open source
> > somehow makes a difference to the end consumer. Bunk.
>
> Whether most consumers yet know it or not, there is all the
> difference in the world.

Of course there is; all your points are correct. But no end user
will read the source and discover the bug / trojan horse /
whatever. It's another developer that will.

My point was that to the end user, those files are a waste of
disk space. They get value from the fact that it's open
sourced, not from the source.

- Gordon