Import File Madness

jsolbrig at my-deja.com jsolbrig at my-deja.com
Thu Apr 27 01:19:10 EDT 2000

Several Questions/Comment on the python import statement

1: Once a python application is large and various classes have static member
objects of different types, import statements seem to have a similar logic to
C include files. I.E., the question of what order to do the include becomes
non-trivial. Is there anyway around this or ways to escape this?

2: The import order/mechanism seems to be slightly different in different
variations of python - WinNT vs. Unix

3: It would be nice to some equivalent of "forward definitions" - statements
would let you construct a static element of type X before you have imported
the file with X in it.

4: There seem to simply be bugs in the import mechanism which can cause
modules to be None after being imported intermitantly. Is this known, is that
this some "feature"? Is this my imagination? It seems to happen in large
applications - 200K source code.

Joe Solbrig
jsolbrig at webcom.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/