Migrating Tcl system to Python

Hamish Lawson hamish_lawson at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 12:19:26 EDT 2000

Cameron Laird wrote:

[Stuff about communicating between Tcl and Python.]

> Minotaur. CORBA. ILU. COM, maybe. Pipes. Named pipes.

The systems will be on Linux so COM is out but the rest are
possibilities. As far as I can see, one of the main issues in
communicating between Tcl and Python will be how to handle
passing lists and dictionaries (arrays in Tcl). XML-RPC manages
this automatically and although I don't have any experience with
either CORBA or ILU, I imagine they do too. If I were to use a
pipe approach, there would presumably be a need for a layer to
translate between Tcl's and Python's representations of data
structures; though I think this might be reasonably simple, are
there solutions already available, or issues I'd need to be
aware of?

Hamish Lawson