Editors and books

Jeff Massung jmassung at magpiesystems.com
Mon Apr 17 11:00:56 EDT 2000

First, I'd like to give my undying praise to PYTHON: Essential Reference, by
David M. Beazley. I'm an accomplished C/C++ programmer who wanted to learn
Python. This book was IT! Anyone whose reading this that is in my shoes -
get this book! It's some of the best $35 I've spent!

Next, a question for those who've been doing this: is there a color IDE
(just a nicer thing that IDLE) for the Mac? I've heard that Alpha (which I
just downloaded) has a Python mode, but I can't seem to find it. Is there
something else, either? can MPW do it? BBEdit?

Thanks, guys.

Also, on another NG there's talk about Python, and how it does (and still
doesn't) do garbage collecting. Could someone here expand on it so I know
what it can and can't do? Memory is a big issue in my project and I need to
know how to structure my program so that garbage is collected. Thanks
again!!

-- Jeff Massung (jmassung at magpiesystems.com)
-- Lead programmer for Magpie Systems
-- Bringing smart pigs to the pipeline industry!