[ANNOUNCE] Garbage collection for Python

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 08:14:57 EDT 2000

Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.cygnus.argh.org> writes:

> Michael Hudson <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.cygnus.argh.org> writes:

> > > Is it possible to extend your GC in a way which would permit the
> > > execution of several bytecode interpreters in multiple threads?
> >
> > Eh?
>
> With the reference counting scheme, you can't do that, because you
> have to synchronize access to the reference count, which would result
> in a major performance penalty.

Oh, right.  But:

1) Neil's scheme does not replace reference counting.
2) There are more things between the status quo and a free threaded
   interpreter than reference counting issues.

So the answer to your question is: "no".

Cheers,
Michael

--
  well, take it from an old hand: the only reason it would be easier
  to program in C is that you can't easily express complex  problems