Future compatibility of the Python C API

Keith Davidson kbd at iti-oh.com
Fri Apr 14 08:52:33 EDT 2000

1) Has there been any discussion about the upwards compatibility of the C
API in future versions of Python?  Historically our libraries have had a
7-10+ year lifespan where we provide 95+% backwards compatibility (i.e. we
don't want our C API users to have to make more than a day or so worth of
changes between releases).  My big concern is Python 3000- what are the odds
that its C API will be backwards compatibility with Python 1.x?

2) We are considering using the Python C API heavily in a set of libraries
that will be used by both C applications and as Python extension modules.
Has anyone else done this?  How did it work out?

Thanks,
Keith