OOP books that compare - what about Python?

Randy Hudson rgh at inmet.com
Tue Apr 25 19:00:01 EDT 2000

Tom wrote:

> I've been browsing two books that compare and/or teach OO languages: An
> Intro to OOP by Timothy Budd, and Objects Unencapsulated by Ian Joyner.
> Both seem good, both cover C++ and Java, but neither consider Python.

I don't know the Joyner book, but I started learning OOP from an earlier
edition of Budd's book, and I highly recommend it. What I like about his
approach is that he tries to explain the underlying concepts of OOP,
and the variations on the themes, then
illustrate the concepts with the languages he's chosen to focus on. If
you work your way through the book, you'll be in a better position to
figure out Python yourself, how it's like and unlike other OO languages.

-- Randy Hudson