Tuples -- who needs 'em

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Thu Apr 6 13:54:41 EDT 2000

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:45:57 -0700, Bob Alexander wrote:
>As you say, the functional programming paradigm can be nicely expressed in
>Python, and is not dependent on tuples.

Yes.  AFAIK, the only thing dependant on the immutability of tuples is
dictionaries, and only when you use a tuple as a key to a dictionary.  If
you're willing to get rid of being able to key dictionaries with tuples,
you could get rid of tuples.

But tuples aren't the only immutable sequences; so are strings.  That's
why you can key dictionaries with them.  I don't think you'd want to get
rid of that ability.

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley