The Simple Economics of Open Source

Timothy Grant tjg at avalongroup.net
Fri Apr 21 14:19:45 EDT 2000

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> Why does everyone miss the main point?
>
> I (and you) are literally 100s of times more productive because
> of open source. Imagine having to either invent it all yourself,
> or duct tape together expensive half-assed closed "solutions".
> Shudder.

This is phenomenally true. I've been using Python much longer than I
have had the "Open Source Religion," but one of the reasons I converted
was because I can now do more, experience more, and assist my clients
more for far less money than I ever could when I was paying licensing
fees to Microsoft or Novell.

> Win-win situations are rarely profitably analyzed by
> competitive models.

A phenomenally good book on this very subject is called "Coopetition" by
Brandenburger and Nalebuff. They come to conclusion that it is in
everyone's best interest to find ways to make relationships between
consumers and producers win-win. This is a great read even for nerds.
Highly recommended.

--
Stand Fast,
    tjg.

Timothy Grant                         tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Chief Technology Officer              www.exceptionalminds.com
Red Hat Certified Engineer                      (503) 246-3630
Avalon Technology Group, Inc.              fax  (503) 246-3124