Creating variables on the fly...

Matthew Hirsch meh9 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 3 15:16:03 EDT 2000

Hi All,

Let's say I have four variables:

a=1
b=2
c=3
d=4

And I have a function that adds these variables together:

def add(a,b,c,d):
   return a+b+c+d

But now let's say I have twenty variables that I want to add together.
This function will no longer work.  I would have to rewrite it as
a+b+c+d+e+f+g+...+(20th letter).  Is there a way to dynamically create a
variable name?  So that my add function can automatically determine how
many variable names to create and then add the values together.  In
other words, I'd ideally like something like:

def add(number_of_variables):
   return a+b+c+...+(letter corresponding to number_of_variables)

Thanks for your help,

Matt