Smalltalk on the small end (was: Advice requested: GUI project beginning)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Sun Apr 2 18:56:44 EDT 2000

In article <m12b4OW-000wcEC at swing.co.at>,
Christian Tanzer <tanzer at swing.co.at> wrote:
			.
>Recently, I find myself writing Python scripts of 5 to 20 lines for
>which I normally would have used the unix shell. I wouldn't use
>Smalltalk for this purpose.
But others do (particularly with GNU Smalltalk),
so this isn't conclusive.

Actually, there's another thread here asking to
be launched.  Python (and Tcl, too, in a somewhat
different fashion is (are) really quite extraor-
dinary for shell-level scripting and operation.
I find myself wondering more and more how people
get along without such (*particularly* on the
conventional desktops--Win* and MacOS).  I do
think Python is clearly superior to Smalltalk
for those one-page scripts that most people do
with /bin/sh; still, I'm willing to consider that
Smalltalk is more capable in this regard than I
yet realize, and, in any case, I can well imagine
Smalltalk proponents favoring it over /bin/sh.
			.
			.
			.
>What is Squeak?
"Squeak is an open, highly-portable Smalltalk-80
implementation whose virtual machine is written
entirely in Smalltalk, making it easy to debug,
analyze, and change."  <URL:http://www.squeak.org/>
It's lightweight in licensing and execution; you
can get Squeaking without a lot of the setup costs
traditionally associated with Smalltalk.
			.
			.
			.
--