Pythonware Website???? Gone on vacation with Starship? ;-))

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Apr 21 19:45:34 EDT 2000

Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:

>> .... Also, since the PSU has access to
>> Guido's time machine and didn't prevent this, the PSU must be in on this.
>> Perhaps they're testing those samples of whitespace-eating nanoviruses that
>> they got from that UFO crash near Roswell back in the 50s.

(oops, it was 1947, not the 50s)

> Oh you silly boy. They're not alien. They simply used the time
> machine to bring back samples from the future.

> if-i-told-you-how-i-knew-i'd-have-to-kill-you-ly y'rs

[Roswell, New Mexico, July 1947]

Gordon McMillan stood in the desert, looking sadly at the remains of Guido's
time machine.

"Guido won't like this," a slightly metallic voice said behind him.

"Um... no," Gordon said. "I guess he won't."

"Perhaps it wasn't a good idea after all to go back to the time of the
Roswell crash," the voice persisted.

Gordon turned to the bot. "But I wanted to *know*. It might have helped us
during the invasion in 2010. I wanted to know once and for all what had
happened here."

"And now you do! Hehehehe-ly." The bot pronounced its chuckling.

Behind them they heard the sound of a car. They both stood to watch the car
approach from a cloud of dust. "Tim!" Gordon said. "Go invisible, quickly!"

Mumbling to itself, the bot faded into thin air.

The car stopped, and a man came out. He stood staring at the wrecked time
machine for a moment, then looked at Gordon, open-mouthed.

"W-what is that?" the man asked. "One of them f-flying saucers?"

"Um," Gordon said, and gathered his mind. He flashed the PSU badge he
was always carrying. "Weather balloon. I'm with the weather bureau."

The man looked dubious, staring at the wreckage of the time machine.

The timbot became visible again after the man had left. "I don't think
you convinced him," it said.

"We'd better go in hiding for a while," Gordon said.

"For some decades, at least. It will be a long time before technology
develops far enough for us to build a new time machine. The blueprints
I have call for a Perl interpreter, for instance. We need spacetime
convolution regexes."

"Maybe we can help things move forward a bit, then."

"And we'd better hide the nanovirus samples as well. They're too dangerous,"
the timbot said.

"At least we'll have some time to analyze them now. I still don't think
they're alien."

"I think they are," the timbot said.

Arguing, they walked off into the sunset.

Decades passed while Gordon and the timbot did their work. The timbot sent
off some surreptitious messages to various people. John McCarthy got a
few hints on recursion. Bill Gates was funded by an anonymous investor.
(so, they needed the money! what?!) Larry Wall received a pamphlet
on postmodern linguistic analysis. And one christmas, Guido van Rossum
received a thick envelope containing the complete plans for a working time
machine.

Do-you-have-to-kill-me-now?-ly yours,

Martijn