Filtering web proxy

David Porter jcm at bigskytel.com
Mon Apr 17 20:10:37 EDT 2000

* Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.russ.ru>:
> Hello!
>
>    I want a filtering web proxy. I can write one myself, but if there is a
> thing already... well, I don't want to reinvent the wheel. If there is such
> thing (free and opensourse, 'course), I'll extend it for my needs.
>
>    Once I tried Junkbuster, but found it inadequate. My need is simple -
> just a short list of "white" sites. Never tried adzapper...

You tried the *wrong* junkbuster. There is an alternate version at
http://www.waldherr.org/junkbuster/ which is the best ad filter that I have
ever used (and still use). It comes with a very complete ad blocking list
and it turns blocked images into transparent 1x1 gifs, both unlike the
official version.

I have tried adzapper and CTC (Cut The Crap), but both of them were
unreliable. (I should mail the creators about this RSN.) They would for no
apparent reason, just stop working. That is, I would select a URL and
nothing would happen... I found myself constantly bypassing the proxy
because of this. I also dislike the concept of creating a new file everytime
that I want to block a site, one central config suits me better.

If the junkbuster version I mentioned is not satisfactory to you I would be
highly surprised, give it a go!

    __David__