Integer solutions to linear equation?

Bruce Wolk bawolk at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 18 12:26:55 EDT 2000

ax + by = c, where a, b, and c are integers, and the solution (x,y) must
be an integer, is one of the simplest Diophantine equations.  There is
an algorithm, but at the moment I can't remember it.  I do recall that
if the greatest common divisor of a and b divides c, then there are
infinitely many solutions, otherwise there are none.  Thus, if c = 1,
there are always infintely many solutions if a and b are relatively
prime, as in your example.

You probably can find the algorithm in any basic book on number theory.

Bruce