Simple list.append() question

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Fri Apr 28 10:19:46 EDT 2000

Michael Hudson wrote:

> Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:

> > > But wouldn't that make "times" a keyword?  Not sure I'd want that...
> >
> > Currently, yes, but it is absolutely not necessary to be so.
> > It requires to change the grammar to treat operators
> > differently.
>
> But then what happens to things like
>
>   times = 10
>   return [[] times times]

No problem for me. I wouldn't write this, for clarity.
No reason to forbid it, anyway.

> ?  I'm not sure context senstive keywords are a good idea (in any
> language, ever).  Currently a naked identifier in Python is either a
> variable reference or a keyword, and you can tell which just by
> looking at *it*, not at its surroundings - and I think I like that.
>
> Though it would be occasionally useful to be able to call a variable
> `class'.

Well, we would get into trouble anyway, if keywords appear
in other contexts but as attributes. self.class would be ok,
but class as a parameter, and you can't access it.

Algol68's-bold-stropping-had-its-benefits - ciao - chris