questions about imports and classes

Tim Iskander x7483 tiskander at hologic.com
Mon Apr 24 11:28:29 EDT 2000

Hi,
as a relatively new python user I have a couple of questions...

1 - is it possisble to get the instance name of an object (similar to
the class.__name__
        attribute)

2 - has there been any/much discussion on extending the import command
to allow
        renaming the module at import time,
        ie: import myLongWindedModuleName as myShortName

        using the (new) keyword "as" to rename the module. We are
dealing with a multi
       developer, multitask application using lots of python modules and
we would like to
        give the files non-ambiguous names without having unruly module
names in our code.

Thanks
/Tim

p.s. I am not very vi - literate and cannot get it to use spaces instead
of tabs for autoindent... I will go
and read the FAQ etc... but if its a simple answer that someone can send
me I'd be really happy :-)