global variables or inheritence

Laurent POINTAL pointal at lure.u-psud.fr
Thu Apr 27 11:04:37 EDT 2000

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 19:37:40 GMT, Thomas Rasmussen
<simpsons at kom.auc.dk> wrote:

>: Hi
>:
>: I have quite a big problem. I have two different files, where I in one
>: file want to declare a variable and then in the other file be able to
>: access and use this variable (no need to change it), but I just can't
>: seem to get it to work... Is there any nice way of doing this easily?
>: I have tried the global var but this doesn't seem to work.
>:
>: Anyone got a good idea?

Be careful that when you write "from module import *", you get
duplication of the imported module public names into your namespace,
with their current referenced objects.

If one module change(*) the object which is referenced in its
namespace, the other module dont see the modification.

Ex.
    #mod1
    var = 12

    #mod2
    from mod1 import *
    # Here you get var with value 12.
    var = 18
    # Here you have var with value 18 and mod1 has var with value 12.

To avoid this problem, you must access globals by their modules names.

Ex.
    #mod2
    import mod1
    mod1.var = 18
    # And its ok.

Here, to force the use of module prefix, we have adopted the rule to
all times use a _ before globals names, so that they MUST be accessed
by their modules names.

A+

Laurent.

(*) Change the object instance!!! If you have a 'shared' list between
modules, you can do operations on it and all modules ill see them...
except the bad module which create a new list instance and assign it
to its namespace'name.

---
Laurent POINTAL - CNRS/LURE - Service Informatique Experiences
Tel/fax: 01 64 46 82 80 / 01 64 46 41 48
email  : pointal at lure.u-psud.fr  ou  lpointal at planete.net