What is python's language level?

Roy Smith roy at popmail.med.nyu.edu
Tue Apr 4 21:21:23 EDT 2000

zawrotny at gecko.sb.fsu.edu (Michael Zawrotny) wrote:
> Lets start with the fact that nroff and html are markup
> languages not programming languages.

HTML certainly is markup, but I don't know if I'd call nroff markup.
It's much more like a programing language.

Nroff has arithmetic expressions and operators, conditional execution,
several different forms of data structures (number registers, text
diversions), user-definable functions with argument passing, traps, etc.
I don't remember if it supports recursion or not, but I think so.

I will admit, the syntax leaves something to be desired (an obfuscated
nroff contest would be pointless because it'd be too hard to pick one
winner).  I'll leave it to the theory wonks to figure out if it's Turing
complete or what not, but it's very much more than just a markup
language.