Teaching the art of programming, in python

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Apr 5 20:16:02 EDT 2000

Warren Postma <embed at geocities.com> wrote:

[snip]
> You see, I have this idea of 'elegance' in my head which Python satisfies,
> but I haven't found a book that really captures that. I have read a few (4),
> and none really do justice to the Art side.
>
> Remember the famous 'Smalltalk-80 - The Language and Implementation'
> purple-book?
[snip]

Pedantic correction: The Language and Implementation version is the
*blue* book. The Blue Book is no longer in print, although the *purple*
book: Smalltalk-80 The Language is still in print (and you can get the
implementation chapters on the web) and it still a wonderful, wonderful,
wonderful read. It is beautiful to look at, a pleasure to read, and
deeply instructive.

--
Bijan Parsia
http://monkeyfist.com/