Sourceforge and Python

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Apr 26 09:26:44 EDT 2000

yawyi at gmx.de (Johannes Stezenbach) écrit:

> François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > I would like to bring `recode' a bit closer to Python

> There already exists a GNU recode wrapper module for python:

> http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py?find=recode
> http://www.suxers.de/python/pyrecode.htm

Thanks for the references.  File `contrib/README' for the next `recode'
distribution already has some of them, and I completed it from your post.

By "bringing closer to Python", I was more thinking more in an administrative
than a technical way.

Technically, `recode' already uses Python to generate its C or Texinfo
tables.  Given some free time, I'll rewrite and maintain a parallel version
`recode' in Python, just to make prototyping easier.  Python 1.6 already has
a lot of bundled facilities so simple recodings are very easy to do, to the
point that in many cases, a `recode' interface might be seen as overkill.
If I re-implement a parallel version of `recode' in Python, I would prefer
to use bundled facilities, merely checking that they are congruent with
`recode' knowledge, and try to get differences resolved if not.

Administratively, I was more thinking of a site offering Mailman, and mostly
based of Python scripting, or Python synchronisation methods if any.  A way
to me, and even for my users, to get closer to Python, even if indirectly.
A kind of fuzzy move in a probably good direction :-).