A Mountain of Perl Books + Python Advocacy

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Mon Apr 10 01:57:14 EDT 2000

On 9 Apr 2000, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Anyway, yeah, that's what I noticed in this newsgroup. Whenever someone asks
> if Python is a good language Tim Peters tells them to check out Haskell, or
> someone mentions Smalltalk or Scheme or Lisp or whatnot. It's rare that
> people are being sent to C or C++ (unless it's for Python extensions) or
> Perl though (but it does always get the 'good for fast text processing'
> mention). It's nice to see so many comparisons between languages here.

Ah, Martijn, this is all part of the standard Timbot trick to prove Python
rules -- in his on words, about how to provide an objective comparisons
between languages, "just say 5 good points about every language, and
conclude 'it obvious that overall, Python wins'".
(He also gives a few nice examples)

world-domination-through-brain-washing-ly y'rs, Z.

--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka at geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html