Two questions

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Tue Apr 4 17:55:03 EDT 2000

Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

> Hi All--
> I'm finally getting a chance to use Python at work.  I have two
> questions:
>
> 1)  Is there a way to run silent (i.e., we determine where things go and
> the customer never sees any wizards) installs of Python, Tcl/Tk and
> Win32all?

I'll have to leave this to the cognoscenti: I just ran the standard install.

> 2)  What stuff do I need to use msaccess with Python?  Do I need to use
> Win32all, or can I use Tkinter for my (minimal) GUI, with msaccess?

Win32all might be more appropriate if you want to drive Access as a COM
object, but if you just need access to it as a data source, ODCB is going
to give you most of what you want.

I would recommend, from personal experience, the mxODBC module, written
by Marc-Andre Lemburg.  There's no reason why you shouldn't mix this
with Tkinter GUI code.  It works fine alongside wxPython window interfaces.

See http://starship.python.net/crew/lemburg/mxExtensions.html as your
starting point.  I also like mxDateTime, which is required anyway by
mxODBC.

regards
 Steve

--
"Bulding information systems just because it's fun."
Steve Holden  sholden at bellatlantic.net  703 716 7275