Python/Perl Popularity (Re: A Mountain of Perl...)

Daniel Berlin+list.python dan at cgsoftware.com
Wed Apr 12 09:11:52 EDT 2000

>>>>> "Martijn" == Martijn Faassen <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> writes:

    Martijn> Daniel Berlin+list.python <dan at cgsoftware.com> wrote:
    tom> -- Is there a Python equivalent of CPAN and the Perl CPAN
    tom> module?  The closest I know of is Parnassus.  But Parnassus
    tom> is merely a collection of links, not an archive, and it
    tom> doesn't have any facilities (AFAIK) for automatic
    tom> installation.

    >> So, who gives a crap?  I try not to be that lazy.

    Martijn> I care, for instance. The distutils people care. Please
    Martijn> don't assume nobody cares when there's a whole SIG about
    Martijn> this issue.
I didn't say nobody cares, i was basically saying i don't see all that many complaints
about this on the python lists.
Maybe i'm just missing them.
I realize their is a whole SIG about the issue, but it's not a problem
for me.

    Martijn> It's not only about laziness (though that's a good trait
    Martijn> in a programmer :), it's about accessibility. Python
    Martijn> modules should be very easy to get and install.
No doubt this is true.
    Martijn> This
    Martijn> makes Python more useable by people who don't know
    Martijn> Python, such as sysadmins, and users. It also is good for
    Martijn> Computer Programming for Everybody.

Sure, i'm all for it too, I just don't see why it should be all that
high of a priority.
I also don't see why Tom praises the CPAN module so much.
My main problem with it is
"
203 installed modules have no parseable version number
"
Yet i haven't installed any modules for PERL on my own.

    Martijn> [snip]
    >> Why do i get the feeling you'll never be satisfied?

    Martijn> Why attacking Tom so much?
I've not attacked him at all.
I simply asked a question.
    Martijn> What has Tom done to you in
    Martijn> the past? Why does he get the bad reception he does?

Because he comes in here with both barrels firing.
What reception did he expect?