Teaching the art of programming, in python

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Wed Apr 5 13:19:12 EDT 2000

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> In article <dpJG4.3744$HG1.106895 at nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
>         "Warren Postma" <embed at geocities.com> writes:
>
> > The Python texts I've read are good References to Getting Stuff Done, but
> > they Don't Teach the Art. Speaking of Dummies, was there/is there a LISP for
> > Dummies, or Smalltalk for Dummies?  Can Python for Dummies be far off?
>
> Yes, because people who do Python are no dummies.
> At least I hope so.

Reminds me of something Stroustrup wrote:

  "...  In a small dedicated community, life is relatively easy. people
do their homework,
people have access to reasonable sources of information, gross errors
and misconceptions are corrected before they can cause significant harm,
compilers and
teaching materials are up-to-date, etc.

This is not and cannot be the case in a multi-hundred-thousand member
community: Some will be taught out of outdated or unsuitable books, some
will use
antiquated compilers and tools, some will be taught by charlatans, some
will be remote from current and reliable news-sources, some will have
unsuitable rules
and regulations imposed on their work, etc. Also, in a rapidly growing
community, most users will be novices. "

For the full article, check out his website -- it's in the section
titled "C++ programmers are idiots" :-)
(http://www.research.att.com/~bs/blast.html).

--bjorn