SNiFF+ for Linux

Michael Scharf Michael.Scharf at gmx.de
Wed Apr 19 16:40:45 EDT 2000

Robert Hicks wrote:

> There was a "how-to" to integrate Python into SNiFF+. I have 2 questions
> regarding this:

> 1. Does anyone have this info?

The how-to is at
  http://starship.python.net/crew/scharf/sn4py

Unfortunately, starship is down at the moment.
I did the integration for an older version of SNiFF and
Python. I don't think that the debugger integration runs
out of the box.

> 2. Does it work with the free Linux version that only supports C/C++?

I simply don't know what is in the free linux version. But I think
it is the full distribution with a restricted license. Fortunately,
the pythonparser has no license (since it is not officially supported).

So, add the Python file-type to new projects and it should work fine.
I think the restriction is a few hundred files. That will hit you, if
you want to browse the entire python-lib.

But yes, it works fine for browsing and editing. Cross-ref doesn't work,
but that is hard (probably impossible) for a dynamically typed language.

If you start sniff as
  % sniff --GUI.Tools.ED.SmartComments

even "comment region" will work for python. (It's enough to
call sniff once with this option, open the preferences and
hit OK: sniff will then remember the option in the user
preferences.)

Michael
--
     ''''\     Michael Scharf