Difficulty with `cmp', still

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Tue Sep 21 22:46:33 EDT 1999

[I wrote, rather more idiomatically than intended]
> > BTW, I fell for it, and voluteered to carry out the BDFL's
> > "suggestion".
[ François Pinard ]
> Oops!  I'm unable to decipher the above sentence, not knowing the
> meaning of `fell' nor `BDFL'.  Is `fell' associated with `to
> feel', or `to fall'? Also, I do not have `BDFL' in this little
> collection of acronyms I slowly accumulated along the years,
> which English people affectionate in email. :-)

Yes, "fell" is past tense of "to fall", idiomatically indicating that
the fish took the hook. BDFL, however, is a c.l.py-ism. It's
stands for "Benevolent Dictator For Life", and refers, of course,
to Guido; who is benevolent in much the same sense as John
Cleese's Robin Hood in _The_Time_Bandits_ (in fact, if you
watch carefully, I believe you'll see Tim Peters and Barry
Warsaw among his Merry Men).

- Gordon