high school programming & python

Alan Daniels daniels at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 12 22:44:20 EDT 1999

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:36:05 GMT, the infinitely wise Les Schaffer
(godzilla at netmeg.net) spoke forth to us, saying...

[snip...]
>they \quote use \unquote C++, having recently changed from pascal. but
>they dont teach any class/object stuff.

This is the equivalent of plopping a flight student into in the
cockpit of a 747 and telling them to fly it around the block a time or
two. I've been programming in C++ for about seven years, and there are
STILL parts of the language I don't understand as thoroughly as I'd
like. To use C++ as a first language is a guaranteed way to send a
student running away screaming from computers for good.

Also, to use C++ and NOT teach any OO principles is a waste of effort
(not to mention that C++ isn't an idea OO language to begin with). C++
is complicated because Stroustrup slapped object orientedness on top
of an otherwise low-level procedural language. Toss out the OO and you
might as well teach straight C, since the student will get the same
amount of actual learning done with less headache.

>i started to tell her about python and the darpa award.

I'm preaching to the choir here, but there two real selling points
for Python I can think of which might be useful:
1) Its OO with a VERY simple syntax. Even if they start with Python,
   they'll get the OO first and can learn uglier syntax later in the
   guise of languages such as C++ or Java.
2) Most people forget this one: IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK. Just type "python"
   and go! No edit/compile/link is needed, so the learning process
   should be a lot quicker, a big advantage for teaching.

Other than that, the only disadvantage is the student will get spoiled
and not be willing to step down to less productive languages. :=)

>2.) the AP tests which kids take, according to her, require for
>advnace placement in a comp sci class that they know the basics of C++
>up through objects. the question then is whether something like
>learning/using python would enable a student still to place in the AP
>tests if they desired.

I saw a quote in an SAT book before that said "ETS tests are not tests
of intelligence, they are tests of the ability of the student to pass
ETS tests." :=)

--
Alan Daniels
daniels at mindspring.com