What GUI-lib to use

David M. Cook david_cook at suth.com
Thu Sep 30 14:58:26 EDT 1999

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:08:33 +0200, Thomas Weholt <thomas at bibsyst.no> wrote:

>use. Tk looks  - well, rather old. My main concern is that the gtk-lib
>is to premature to use for gui-development, that the libs. change too
>much and that it`s hard to keep projects backwards-compatible. This

The Gtk API has been reasonably stable for a while.  The Python bindings are
quite complete, though there are a few minor limitations.

>I want to develop GUIs to simple scripts fast, writing as little code as
>possible, but still making it understandable. Looked at GLADE. How does
>this work with Python?

There are some glade examples in the pygtk distribution.

>Could Tk get a more modern look perhaps and solve all our problems?

I've seen Tk apps that look pretty good.  I think its a matter of not just
taking default values for borders, padding, and such.  My own complaints
about Tk are slowness and relative lack of widgets.

Dave Cook