CygWin version

Duf ivanovic at caltech.edu
Sat Sep 25 03:23:16 EDT 1999

Sorry for piggybacking.
Posted and e-mailed.

"Hirsch, John" wrote:

[snip]

> > > Hi all
> > > In the Python tutorial it says "The interactive editing and history
> > > described here are optionally available in the Unix and
> > > CygWin versions of
> > > the interpreter."
> > > Is there a CygWin version of the interpreter and if so where
> > > can I get it.
> > > If not is there another way to get interactive editing and
> > > history in the
> > > command line interpreter.
> > > Thanks in advance

WRT Cygwin:
It isn't what you want.  The Cygwin environment is a UNIX emulation
layer
for Win32.  It comes with a fairly full set of GNU tools including GCC.
Thus, the Cygwin build of Python is simply one that you build yourself
as you would on a UNIX: "./configure; make".  You can build in Readline
support if you have the Readline library for Cygwin.

Fortunately, you do not need a Cygwin version of the interpreter to have
Readline on Windows.  Paul Sokolovsky has ported Readline to native
Windows using Mingw32, a set of headers and libraries to compile native
Windows programs with GCC.

Paul's original work is here:
http://www.infoservice.lg.ua/~paul/devel/readline/pymodule.html

Because of different build preferencess (he compiles against CRTDLL and
compile against MSVCRT, if that means anything to you), I also provide
a binary.
http://starship.python.net/crew/kernr/binaries/PyReadline-w32.zip

Paul's reportedly has problems on NT; no one's told me if mine works on
NT
yet.

--
Robert Kern