Moving from Perl to Python

Harry George hgg9140 at seanet.com
Sun Sep 26 18:05:49 EDT 1999

Ok, I know you meant to be sarcastic, but these things are possible....

What I asked for was just the cookbook.  No need for the other perl
books.  The cookbook happens to cover a lot of typical programming problems.

As for Numerical Recipes, several years ago I began writing a Modula-3
version (completely cleanroom, just retained the interfaces) and got
hassled by Press et al's lawyers.  So I totally redid it as "m3na".
The python Numerical package has some of m3na's topics covered, but there
is more we could convert to python.  Coming from Modula-3, the
modularity and object structure should at least feel familiar.

Sedgewick's book is another good candidate.  He already has it in
Modula-3.  I doubt we need a whole new hardcopy book -- the algorithm
analysis doesn't change.  But I would like to see an agreement with the
publisher that it is ok to provide web access to a set of open source python
renditions of the algorithms.  Years ago I did most of them in
Modula-2 myself, but the NR experience makes me want to get approvals
before making any public efforts.

Python renditions of the examples from the OpenGL programming guide is
another good project.  I haven't gotton PyOpenGL running yet -- are the
examples already there?  I did many of those in Modula-3 when building
the m3 bindings.

--
Harry George
hgg9140 at seanet.com