ftp files based on start and finish byte

Ovidiu Predescu ovidiu at cup.hp.com
Fri Sep 17 21:17:28 EDT 1999

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:29:50 +1000, coby <Cobra__77 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Here is a little problem...
>
> I want to transfer a 15MB file from one ftp sever to another using the
> passive mode...but I can't transfer 15MB at once...I can only transfer
> 5MB at a time...so I need a little script or ftp client (???) that will
> allow me to transfer files based on start and finish bytes..ie. I want
> to specify when to start and finish transfer...so basically I will get 3
>
> five mega byte files..which I can merge together with a merge utility
> and end up with the 15MB file...
>
> any suggestions on how to do this....if you know any scripting or know
> any ftp client that does the above then please let me  know...
>
> thanks

Use ncftp with get -C. It will look to see if the file you want to download is
already in the local directory. If it is, it determines its size and asks the
ftp server to send the file starting from the end of the file. It then appends
the bytes its receiving to the existing file.

You can get ncftp from http://www.ncftp.com/.

Have fun,
Ovidiu

--