cgi authentication

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Sep 22 09:42:32 EDT 1999

Richard van de Stadt <stadt at cs.utwente.nl> wrote:
> 1) How does one enable the crypt module if it is not
> available in the Python library? Do I have to ask our
> Python maintainer to rebuild it?

yup.  tell him/her to uncomment the appropriate
line in Setup[.in], and rebuild.

> 2) The crypt-statement looks strange to me.
> Why are the first 2 characters of the encrypted
> password (apparently retrieved from the password
> file) feeded into crypt()?

they're used to pick one of 4096 different
ways to encrypt the password.  passing them
to crypt guarantees that you'll encrypt the
entered password in the same way as it was
originally encrypted by htpasswd.

> Or is this just the standard way password encryption
> is done?

exactly.

</F>