python UDPServer

jbgreer at my-deja.com jbgreer at my-deja.com
Tue Sep 28 19:11:55 EDT 1999

Howdy,
I have been trying to get a simple UDP server
working in Python.  I noticed the SocketServer
modules and said, "Gee, that looks handy!"
So I tried the following:

from SocketServer import *

class
abcsRequestHandler(DatagramRequestHandler)
    def handle(self):
        self.wfile.write("ABC")

if __name__ == '__main__':
    abcs = UDPServer(("localhost", 4000), abcsRequestHandler)
    abcs.server_forever()

When I save the above to a file (abcs.py) and try:

python abcs.py

I get:
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "abcs.py", line 9, in ?
    abcs = UDPServer(("localhost", 4000), abcsRequestHandler)
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/SocketServer.py", line
166, in __init__
     self.server_activate()
  File "/usr/lib/python1.5/SocketServer.py", line
182, in server_activate()
    self.socket.listen(self.request_queue_size)
socket.error: (95, 'Operation not supported')

That is, the script comes to a screeching halt
when, in the course of performing the
initialization for a UDPServer, it defaults to the
initialization behaviour (for the most part) of a
TCPServer, which does a listen().  This is a bad
thing(tm) for a UDP socket.

Having finished my preamble, I humbly ask those in
the know:  Has anyone gotten UDPServer as
implemented in SocketServer.py to work?  How?
I admit I don't know much about python, but I
followed a TCPServer example really expecting this
to work.

I am using Python 1.5.1 on a Linux system (RedHat
6.0, python-1.5.1-10).

Many thanks in advance,
Jim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/