Nolan's question of the day: distributed servers?

James_Armstrong James_Armstrong at email.msn.com
Thu Sep 30 02:30:30 EDT 1999

> My current big project is a MUD server in Python. I have some
> interesting ideas, only one of which I'll bore you all with. :) I
> honestly don't know how Python will perform in this area. I'm not
> aiming my code at lower-end processors though, so I'm not terribly
> worried, but in order to alleviate some of this, I'm trying to either
> use an existing object distribution scheme such as CORBA/ILU, or
> *shudder* write my own. :)

I realize that this might be heresy...

Take a look at "Java Examples in a Nutshell" (David Flanagan, O'Reilly)

There is a section named "A Multi-User Domain" which gives an example
and shows how JDK 1.1 directly supports some of your requirements with
RMI (Remote Method Invocation).  The example MUD is also distrubuted
over multiple hosts.  There is also an indication that remote stubs,
function parameters
and return values are moved from machine to machine via Java's serialization
capability.

I think I heard a rumor about some python implementations that sit on the
Java VM.  Maybe you can have it all.....

Regards,
JDA