Feast or famine! - Anyone read or dealt with Wrox Press?

Alexander Staubo earlybird at mop.no
Sat Sep 11 15:40:21 EDT 1999

In article <9VtB3.14$114.1985 at news.clarkson.edu>, bkc at Murkworks.com
says...
> Not quite related but the Wrox folks seem interested in a Python book. Has
> anyone actually read a Wrox press book? Whats your opinion? Has anyone dealt
> with them as a publisher?

I like 'em.

Their books are generally excellent. Although it's difficult not to
speak broadly here, I personally put them on par with Addison-Wesley and
O'Reilly (as opposed to, say, Que or Microsoft Press or any of the other
"Learn Gork in 21 Days!" houses, whose books I would really hesitate to
buy) in terms of respectability. I have several (they have one of the
best books on practical XML application, _XML Applications_), and they
fulfill their promise.

If anything I find their books to have a much better signal-to-fluff
ratio than other books. And their typography is really compact; when you
buy a 700-page tome, you do get 700 pages' worth -- not just 300 pages
with really wide margins and big lettering.

(Of course, I don't have their Visual C++ or Visual Basic books. They
could be vastly different. They do have a lot of Microsoft-oriented
books, perhaps-not-surprisingly.)

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"`Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.'"