Linux Dependencies! Grrr...What now?

skaller skaller at maxtal.com.au
Tue Sep 28 16:28:59 EDT 1999

Jeff Blaine wrote:

> >First, I found out that mysqldb will only work with python 1.5.2...which
> >necessitated an upgrade. Dependencies! Dependencies! I ended up
> >installing python, python-devel, blt, tix _tkinter and tkinter. (I've
> >been warned that as the result of my upgrade, I have now "broken"
> >netcfg, but I'll deal with that on another day.)

	First, I agree with you. This dependency stuff is
the nightmare of free software. (as well as non-free software,
but the problem is much worse in the free sowftare world).

	Second, the solution on a Redhat 6 system is simple:
you will NOT break anython if you build Python yourself
in /usr/local since all the standard scripts use the
system version of python, which is in /usr. Any scripts
like netcfg should use the system version of python.
Your scripts will use your local version.

John Skaller, mailto:skaller at maxtal.com.au
1/10 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia
homepage: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
downloads: http://www.triode.net.au/~skaller