WYSIWYG GUI maker V - Guido

Martin Oti M.Oti at warande.uu.nl
Sun Sep 12 18:24:12 EDT 1999

Kaine wrote:

> In article <37D5AA97.2C4BF97D at megsinet.net>,
>   David Oppenheimer <davidopp at megsinet.net> wrote:
> > Dear Group,
> >
> > Looking for input here.  What kinds of features and functionalities
> > would you want to have in a WYSIWYG GUI maker?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David O.
> >

> Component based architecture. This could be corba objects. Drag and
> drop. The class library should be extensible. A good editor would be
> nice or integration with EMACS. A class browser. A project manager.
> Basically just copy Delphi's IDE. :)

I would generally agree, but I think it might be better to integrate it
with IDLE rather than EMACS (IDLE is part of the standard distribution
and already contains -- or will contain -- many goodies).

More wishful thinking (more for IDLE than for V-GUIDO):

-- online context-sensitive help.

-- pop-up lists with possible values for certain variables/properties
where there is a limited choice (a la Visual Basic). For example, user
types in class name and then a dot, and a list of member
functions/variables pops up.

-- ability to run a syntax check without actually running the program (I
don't know if this is already implemented in IDLE -- my IDLE
installation was messed up when I installed Tcl/Tk 8.1 and I never tried
to fix it since I use PythonWin anyway). Misindentation, etc can then be
nipped in the bud ;).

Just some daydreaming :).

Martin