Turing Compliant?

jhefferon at my-deja.com jhefferon at my-deja.com
Thu Sep 9 15:52:22 EDT 1999

  Charles G Waldman <cgw at fnal.gov> wrote:
> Oh goody, it looks like we're about to have another long math
> tangent!
Yes, well, I didn't mean to start anything, I swear!
> I'd be interested to hear what the difference is, according to you,
> between "infinite" and "unbounded".
As an analogy, in a definition of a `book' there is no bound on the
number of words.  But no book is infinite.

True, a book is static while a computational process (the idea that
Turing was trying to capture) can just keep growing but anyway,
unbounded and infinite are different.  I think the post objected to
Turing's model because the machines are infinite, which I don't think
is right.

Somebody else in this thread mentioned quantum computation.  I've tried
to read up on it, but I'm afraid I didn't get it.  Is it the case that
anything quantum computable is Turing computable, that is, quantum
computability may go faster but doesn't add anything actually new?

Jim Hefferon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/