Python's "config.h" (& Problem Reports FAQ)

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 09:02:38 EDT 1999

     If there is somewhere else Python problem reports should be filed,
please let me know.  It wasn't in the FAQ.

     I'd like to request that in the next version of Python we rename the
installed "config.h" file to something less generic and likely to conflict
with other packages.  For example, "py-config.h".

     A bug resulting from this generic naming reared its ugly head this
week when a developer checked the Xg widget set into a development tree
here.  The Python extension modules included "Python.h" (which in-turn
pulled in Xg's "config.h" rather than Python's).  Amazingly, the Python
wrappers didn't fail to compile or run, but some APIs produced bogus
results across the Python-C interface (in this case, map projections were
completely wrong).

     A renaming of config.h would help avoid these silent compilation
errors in Python extension modules.

Thanks,

Randall

--