Writing portably for 1.5.1 using 1.5.2

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Sat Sep 25 14:22:21 EDT 1999

In article <000101bf077e$13cdee80$912d153f at tim>,
Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
>[François Pinard]
>> I'm using 1.5.2 on my development machines, but have to execute
>> the scripts on machines still having 1.5.1, from time to time.
>> ... [example of 1.5.2's "apply" generalization] ...
>> Is there, by any chance, some guide about writing Python portably
>> between versions?
>
>Nope.  Version numbers in Python increase very slowly -- 1.5.1 is well over
>a year out of date, and is no longer supported.  So if you want to worry
>about 1.5.1, you're on your own.
>
>Changes are almost always backward compatible, though, so if you *need*
>something that runs on both, do your development under 1.5.1.  If you insist
>on making life as difficult as possible <wink>, develop under 1.5.2 but read
>every line of Misc/News (in the source distribution; it summarizes the
>changes from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2).

I agree with Tim.  Note that there are important bug fixes in moving
from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 (we've had problems with htmllib and urllib); I'd
strongly suggest that you try upgrading the 1.5.1-based systems.
--
                      --- Aahz (@netcom.com)

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het    <*>      http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6  (if you want to know, do some research)