1.5.2 NT install question(s)

Ken Koller ken.koller at kla-tencor.com
Tue Sep 7 22:04:37 EDT 1999

> On a fresh system (never had Python or Tcl/Tk) things (for example,
> PySol) seem to work, but whenever I use Tkinter (specifically, when
> _tkinter is imported) I get a warning box about not being able to find
> tcl80.dll in the specified path.  (tcl80.dll is present, in Program
> Files\Tcl\bin.) What's wrong, and how do I put it right?

NT looks for dlls in the following places:

1. The directory containing the .exe file that uses it (In this case
python.exe)
2. The current directory of the process which can be different than above
for various reasons.
3. The system directory (usually c:\winnt\system32)
4. The windows directory (usually c:\winnt)
5. Directories listed in the PATH environment variable.

So you could fix it manually, however...

> On a system where 1.5.1 (with Tcl/Tk) had previously been installed, I
> carefully uninstalled both before installing 1.5.2.  Here both "import
> _tkinter" and "inport Tkinter" are OK, but Tkinter._test() yields:
>
>     TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
>         {} ./lib/tcl8.0 D:/tc18.0/library {D:/Program Files/library}
>
>     This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
>
> (init.tcl is present, in Program Files\Tcl\lib\tcl8.0.)  What's wrong,
> and how do I put it right?

Look for a file called install.log in "...\Program Files\Tcl". The end of it
should show some registry entries for the DLL registration, and the
installation directory (where is could find .\lib\tcl8.0 as a relative
path). Sounds like you don't have permission to modify the registry. Are you
an admin on the system?

Hope this helps.

Ken