CONTEST: PyWin crashes with pure Python code!

Christian Tismer tismer at appliedbiometrics.com
Fri Sep 3 14:58:04 EDT 1999

Roger Burnham wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:07:38 GMT, Christian Tismer <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I'm starting a contest to solve
> >
> >   *** A SERIOUS PROBLEM ***
> >
> ><snip>
>
> Christian,
>
> This runs okay for me on two machines; win95 and winNT...(also
> ran under the debugger, with all exceptions enabled, found none).
>
> I concatentated a dozen or so of the largest .txt and .log files
> on my system to get a 7-8 meg file, concatenated that with itself
> to get about a 44 meg file.  The last number printed was 1094200.

Ok. This file will definately crash:
ftp://ftp.pns.cc/pub/praeps-all.zip

Start a fresh PyWin session. This is necessary, since conditions
might change after some other memory has been allocated already.
No idea if this is important:
I'm using a P200 with 64 MB main memory, and gigabytes of
free disk space.

Related observation:

If you read() the whole file at once,
and then use string.split() on the whole crap,
pythonWin will report a memory error.
This is not ok, since I have enough swap space.

ciao - chris

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 101   :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net
10553 Berlin                 :     PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net