Python, NT, and databases

Brady Montz bradym at cs.arizona.edu
Fri Sep 24 12:21:13 EDT 1999

I'm due to give a talk on a project to link cgi scripts on solaris to SQL
Server running on NT (why ask why? just don't). Perl was used, and was as fun
as ever.

I'm curious if there's any way this could have been written in python, and how
reliable it would have been.

We didn't use ODBC drivers, using the perl dbiproxy module instead (for those
lucky ignorant ones, dbiproxy runs perl code on the NT machine with the
database, and has a proxy on the unix machine so that the cgi script can just
use the regular perl dbd module to access the database as if it were
local). Is something like this possible/plausible/pleasant with python? Or at
least no less pleasant than with perl (dbiproxy doesn't work very well - for
one thing it's not multithreaded so you can only have one connection to the DB
per port).

If we had used ODBC drivers (which weren't easy to find for solaris), how well
does python talk to them?

Finally, does anyone have experience, good or bad, writing cgi scripts in
python plugged into a NT webserver?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Brady Montz