Recommend a python book? -- Was: Python interface to Berkeley DB + locking

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Mon Sep 13 15:27:49 EDT 1999

Hi All--

mikedel at my-deja.com wrote:

> Sorry to interrupt this thread here, but I was wondering if you
> reccommend "Learning Python" to the intermediate level programmer with
> no Python experience?
> I've been looking for a good reference that I won't outgrow too quickly
> and I usually trust the Oreilly books.
>
> I read the reviews here:
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565924649/productlink
> Learning Python (Help for Programmers)
>
> But am looking for other opinions.

Yes, _Learning Python_ is an excellent place (probably the ideal place)
to start if you're an intermediate programmer.  Start there, and join
the python-tutor mailing list (visit

to sign up).  David Ascher, one of the authors of the book, started the
tutor list.

Mark Lutz's book, _Programming Python_, is excellent too, but does
assume you know more than LP.  It's where I started, but I've been
programming since the 60's.  After you've gone through LP, you might
want to get PP.  You should also get the _Python Pocket Reference_,
which can be a butt-saver when you need info fast.

<can-you-say-1401-autocoder?>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70